Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Guatemala: Our final day in the community!

 

Prompt: Write a postcard home on your experience thus far.


 Entry #1 





Dearest Mother and dearest Father,


My trip has been wonderful and along with that, I have made some wonderful memories. The children at the school were just wonderful. They were always joyous and energetic. For they do not complain despite how small of a school they had. The sight of the school was not initially impressive, but the children looking out the window as we arrive is just wonderful and will always stick with me. The language barrier was humongous, but we managed with fist bumps, high fives, and teaching each other phrases. For we taught them about dental hygiene, and they loved it. The children were wonderful and grateful for the toothbrushes we gave them. They will never leave my mind. For they are truly wonderful. I will miss the sight of the many faces looking at me with smiles as big as the moon.


Love,

Russell Kaegi ‘28


 Entry #2






Dear Mom and Dad,


      I have had a unique experience during this trip, with a lot of ups and downs. The ups of this have been building a wall out of bottles for a foundation of cement, increasing my Spanish by a humongous amount, and learning to place cement on a wall, which I’ve become quite good at. A bit of the downs have included launching a ball over fence, which I retrieved, and watching my friend break a window. We are about to head to Antigua, which is kinda good and kinda bad. The good is that we have completed the project and it looks good and blue. The bad part is we have to leave these nice kids at their school. I hope you are doing well. 




 Your Favorite child,

  Lawson


 Entry #3


To: Mom and Dad,


 Today, our last day at the school, we finished our work in building the bathrooms for the kids and community to use. After finishing the walls (filling them with bottles) and adding the last bit of cement, we painted and completed the bathroom. All of the community was so grateful for our work, and I am grateful for the opportunity to experience their awesome culture, food, and the fact that they were so happy with what was available to them. It has been very nice that they allowed us to be with them and I hope to come back soon.


From: Arjun


Entry #4




We had an amazing time at the worksite. The kids were amazing and the parents/teachers and leaders were incredibly grateful. They showed grace by giving us snacks, clapping for us, and helping us every chance they got to ensure that we knew what we were doing. The students were very excited and nice to all of us. They listened to our English and we learned Spanish from them. I especially loved the high fives they gave us and the show at the end. The leaders were also very grateful and showed it by being very helpful and fun to be around. For me personally, this is the best experience of my life so far and I will always remember one can be happy with very little.  


-Henry Wells




                                                                

No comments:

Post a Comment