Monday, March 2, 2020

Thomas McRae Reflects on Life in Castro's Cuba


“Cuba and the Cameraman” is a film about a journalist, Jon Alpert, who goes to Cuba periodically for 45 years. The film shows the evolution of the Cuban revolution through a peasant family, two normal Cuban citizen families, and several interviews with Fidel Castro himself. This film makes the good, bad, and grey aspects of the Cuban revolution personal for any viewer because of the relationships formed by Alpert and the Cuban people. 

Before watching this film, I had always heard various vague conjectures about the politics surrounding Cuba, but I had never grasped a real understanding of what was happening. I chose this film because I thought a documentary would be the best way to get an unbiased assessment and understanding of the history of the country I am visiting. The film did just that. Not only did it show me the various stages of the Cuban revolution, but it also gave me a sense of personal connection to the people he interviewed for over 45 years. 

Most especially, I felt very close to the three farming brothers. It was hard to see the brothers struggle after the Soviet Union collapsed and people looted their home and killed their animals. The film gave me an opinion about Cuba, rather than some generic facts that I could use in conversation. 

I'm now extremely excited to go see Cuba. I'm curious as to how the public services, like hospitals and schools, are doing. I am also curious to see how the death of Fidel Castro has affected the nation. In all I cannot wait to visit Cuba and see what the Cameraman saw!

No comments:

Post a Comment